Two. The number of things I knew I was going to miss when I moved out of my 16th floor highrise condo in downtown San Diego in January. The first was a person. The second, my custom closet. When I moved into the condo a few years earlier, it was not the almost-floor to ceiling windows or the almost-360 degree views of the San Diego Harbor that had me sold, or the stainless steel appliances, 24-hour security, or convenient amenities. Ok, it could have been the washer/dryer in the unit, an absolute necessity, but every place in San Diego has one of those. It was the closet. I mean, we are talking love at first sight, as in, if my closet could talk, I would say it had me at hello.
Naturally, I had most fun organzing my wonderful friend, and so, before packing up its contents, I had to capture all of its glory in these photos I am sharing with you now. If your worldly possessions are lucky enough to live in one of these, then you most likely don’t need my advice as to how to organize, but just in case:
1) Separate the fun clothes you love from the boring work clothes.
2) Fold bulky items that would take up too much space if hung.
3) Shelves = perfect shoe display.
4) Organize by color, fabric, length, etc.
5) Rule: If you can wear it outside, you should hang it. Exception: gym clothes. No need to fold all your pretty things; you are guaranteed to forget them when they reside at the bottom of drawer somewhere.
6) Counter space can double as a mini-vanity to display pretty perfume bottles, sunglasses, make-up, jewelry, and even photos.
Neatly organized shoes
Displaying some of my pretty handbags, while others remain in bags
The work side of the closet
The fun side of the closet
Make-up, perfume, and my most prized possessions– my sunnies
A jewelry drawer…..so much better than a jewelry boxRead More